HISTORY


                It was on the 4th of April 1876, the 1st Superior of Indian Mission Mother Bonosa came to Bolarum with her two companions, Sr. Felicita and Sr. Seconda. They began a small school with 20 children with the help of Msgr. Barbero who gave accommodation in two rooms close to a small church - behind the first chapel - built by Irish missionaries, in honour of St. Francis Xavier. Two days later an Anglo-Indian came with her children to beg the good sisters to open a school as up to that time the catholic children had to attend the protestant school. Mother Bonosa assured the good woman that she would see to it. But when she approached the Bishop she said she had no means. However, when the good people of Bolarum pleaded  the sisters and the sisters said they were prepared to make any sacrifice, he gave his consent. Thus on the 1st April 1876 classes started in the chapel of St. Francis Xavier.

                 As the number of pupils grew a shed was constructed which was later substituted by buildings. The little community lived in the most absolute poverty in every way on a level with the inhabitants except for their heroism and the witness of their apostolate.

                A great historical event is that, in December 1879 our beloved Mother Enrichetta visited Bolarum with Mother Bonosa and Sr. Margherita, for a health-resort called, where the sisters had very modest house which they had named the “Moncalieri of India”. Staying with the children of Bolarum School was a great comfort to Mother Enrichetta. Among these children she was transfigured; in their intelligent faces she saw the face of “Good Daddy” whom she imagined far away, left behind in Europe. Mother Enrichetta writes, “I happened to be at Bolarum, in a little Mission house, where our sisters run a school for some forty boys and girls, almost all natives of the place. What a consolation it is to see and hear those dear little black faces saying their Christian prayers with such devotion. That is really the sight of my greatest satisfaction!”
 
                      Along with school ministry, the sisters looked after the orphans, teaching them needle work and house management. Later, an English speaking Lady, the wife of a British Colonel, who resided just next to the sisters in bungalow came to visit the sisters. She became a great friend and benefactors.

                              It was in 1911 a certain miss knight and the wife of the colonel had to leave India for good and she handed a small primary school with the all the equipment to the sisters. The British resident the honourable Pinhey friend of our Sisters helped to set up a fairly a large workroom and residential quarters for sisters. Sr. Elisha worked with the sisters zealously to bring up the schools and the orphanage. Later, the industrial school was opened for all the children irrespective of caste, creed, rich or poor, and was given good education.

                                             In 1971 the primary school was recognized and upgraded to the full fledged High School. In 1978 permanent recognition was granted up to class 10 by Smt. B. Sarojini Dashavatharam, who was the director of School Education. In 1976 new cottage for the sisters and in 1979 K.G block with eight rooms was built. 
 
                             It was in February 1991 the boarding house was taken up for major repair and the boarders were shifted to the old boy’s boarding. On 8th August 1992 the boarders were shifted to the newly renovated boarding. In April 1994 the reconstruction of the High School building was taken up and was Inaugurated by the then Provincial Superior, Rev. Sr. Martin Martin.

                                    In 1997 the school was blessed with a new sports ground with a gallery. In the year 2000 the school was upgraded to Junior College and the foundation stone was laid in September 2000 by Rev. Sr. Charlotte, the then Provincial Superior. On 21st April 2001 the college building was blessed by His grace Most Rev. Marampudi Joji, the Archbishop of Hyderabad. 
                          
    
 St. Ann’s High School,
        Bolarum